Flood Coverages

Flood insurance policies cover direct physical loss by or from flooding to your building and personal property. The following is an overview of items that could be eligible for coverage depending on the coverage purchased.

You can get a policy that covers just your home's structure (building coverage). Or you can get a policy that cover both your home's structure and your belongings (contents coverage). Renters can buy a policy that covers only their belongings. Rates will vary depending on your property's characteristics and whether you live in a high-risk area or one that's considered moderate-to-low risk.

Coverage for basements and property in them is limited regardless of flood risk. Your agent can help you in determining your flood risk and understanding the type of flood coverage options you have.

Building Property coverages can include:

The building and its foundation

Electrical and plumbing systems

Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces and water heaters

Window blinds

Refrigerators, stoves and built-in applicances such as diswashers

Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring

Permanently-installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases and cabinets

Detached garages (up to 10% of Building Property coverage)

Personal Property (contents) coverages can include:

Personal belongings, such as clothing, furniture and electronic equipment


Portable air conditioners, microwave ovens and dishwashers

Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500)

Freezers and the food in them

Carpets not permanently installed over unfinished flooring

Washers and dryers

Replacement Cost coverage is not available for personal property

Additional Coverage Options:

  • Debris Removal at federal minimum wage (not subject to deductible)
  • Loss avoidance measures ($1,000 limit, no deductible)
  • Increased Cost of Compliance — flood proofing, relocation, elevation and demolition (subject to limitations and qualifying criteria)

Flood Insurance FAQ

Have questions about flood insurance? We have answers!

Most homeowners insurance policies don't cover flood damage, and floods can happen almost anywhere. According to federal emergency risk managers, just one inch of floodwater can cause up to $25,000 in damage.

Homes and businesses in high-risk flood areas with government-backed mortgages are required to have flood insurance. You can search your property's address on the FEMA Flood Map Service Center website for flood hazard information.
Homes and businesses in high-risk flood areas with government-backed mortgages are required to have flood insurance.

Homes and businesses that are outside of the high-risk flood areas are not federally required to purchase flood insurance; however, a lender may still require it.

Even if you're not required to have it, it's still a good idea to consider purchasing flood insurance protection.
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) through FEMA is available to anyone living in one of the almost 23,000 participating communities. You can still purchase flood insurance even if it isn't required.

If you have a property that is outside of the 23,000 NFIP participating communities, contact your agent or our Foremost Internal Flood Team. Private flood insurance options may be available for your property in a non-participating community.

Looking for a Flood Insurance Quote?

Call 833-351-1636