Holiday Decorating Made Easy
by Jennifer Reamer
The holiday season is already a busy time of year with cooking, cleaning, shopping and gatherings. Take it easy on yourself when it comes to decorating. Here are several simple, creative and inexpensive ideas to make your home festive. And the best part is that most of them can be done in a matter of minutes!
- Border doorways with string lights, garland or snowflakes for a delightful glimmer you can keep up throughout the winter season.
- Fill jars with pinecones or ornaments and place them on window ledges, shelves or tables. Spray-paint the pinecones gold and silver to add some sparkle.
- Make a table runner using greenery and spruce it up with items such as flameless candles, twigs, pinecones and berries.
- String your favorite ornaments from colorful ribbons throughout your home, including the staircase if you have one.
- Hang a wreath inside! If you don't want it on your door, try a cabinet or window. Preserved wreaths made of moss or boxwood are already dried and can be used for years.
- Swap out your year-round blankets and throw pillows with something festive.
- Display branches of winter berries in glass or ceramic vases and set them on side tables. Choose different sized vases and place them in several rooms.
- Add some scent by placing a pine, spruce or fir branch into a vase. Leave it plain or decorate with a string of tiny copper wire lights.
- Hang fresh greenery on your door, window, fence, garden gate, porch railing or mailbox. If you want to dress it up, add berries, pinecones, bows or lights.
- Dress up skis, snowshoes or a wooden sled with evergreen and a large bow and place it on your porch or near your front door.
- Fill a large white or green planter with plastic candy canes for a unique candy-inspired display. Get canes that light up for an added glow at night.
- Wrap various sized boxes in holiday paper and set them on your porch. Be sure to add some weight in the boxes before packaging them.
- Place oversized lanterns filled with multi-colored ornaments on your porch for a vibrant pop of color.
- Lay coiled light strands on top of soil and then insert branches to create a glowing outdoor planter.
- Scatter lighted frosted globes or spheres of grapevine wrapped in lights around your yard or group them in a birdbath or container. Globes are available in a variety of sizes from most home improvement stores.
- Make the most of sheltered porch corners with a seasonal display. Top a small table with colorful or patterned fabric and add assorted flameless candles, pinecones or a bucket of twigs or branches.
Whether you choose one or all of these ideas, decorations add to the enjoyment and magic of the season. Enjoy your creations and have a happy holiday!
Insure your home with Foremost® Insurance! Get a quote today by calling 888-244-8092 to speak with a licensed agent or find a Foremost Insurance agent near you.