If you're anything like my husband, you like having a crackling fire in the fireplace on a cold winter's night. Watching the light dance on the walls and enjoying its warmth is one of the most charming aspects of the otherwise cold and harsh season.
Yep, there's definitely something alluring about having a fireplace in your home. According to the Hearth, Patio, and Barbeque Association (HPBA), a fireplace ranks second among the top features buyers seek in a home! Additionally, approximately 80% of American homes have a fireplace, hearth or pellet stove. I'll admit, a fireplace was one of the features we searched for when looking at homes.
Unfortunately, the perks of having a fireplace also come with a bit of responsibility. Any homeowner with a fireplace should know that the desire for a crackling fire also requires a lifetime commitment to make sure it’s in proper working order. If you need to brush up on your fireplace safety before brushing off the hearth, check out these eight basics of preventative wood burning fireplace maintenance:
According to Angie's List, chimney inspections cost anywhere between $100 to $250, while chimney cleanings run between $100 and $350. While this may sound like a hefty fee for some, remember that a regular inspection and cleaning may save you from exorbitant repairs or fire damage in the future.
According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America, there are over 25,000 chimney fires each year in the United States, accounting for over 120 million dollars in damage to property! Most of these occur because the chimney hasn’t been swept lately, so if you’ve followed our instruction above, you should be good to go.
However, if you do hear loud cracking or popping noises or see a great deal of dense smoke coming from your fireplace, call the fire department immediately and have them look over the potential danger. These chimney fires not only have the capability of igniting other portions of your home, they can also overheat nearby combustibles.
You may be surprised to learn that heating systems are the second highest cause of home fires, just after cooking! Everyday objects like nail polish, plastic toys and polyester plants are extremely flammable and should not be left anywhere near a fireplace.
If the layer of ashes on your hearth is deep enough that it comes in contact with the grate, that grate may burn out and decrease its lifespan. Excess ashes also reduce the volume of wood that can be placed in the fireplace.
Give the ashes from a wood-fire a good 24 hours to cool down before removal.
These grates allow for a better quality burn, better drafting, and the protection of your fireplace floor. Northline Express suggests using either a steel bar, caste iron, or grate heater depending on the frequency of use.
If you are the proud owner of a gas fireplace, this resource provides great information and recommendations about how you can best care for that investment. Now go enjoy that warm and toasty glow.Tweet
If the frame on one of your mobile home windows is warped or severely weather damaged, replace it. Even if the frames aren't warped or damaged, windows that seem to constantly need repair or adjustment should be replaced. A new, efficient window keeps cold drafts out of your manufactured home and saves you energy dollars in the long run.
Do you remember when you were young and had to check under your bed for monsters before you could go to sleep? I sure do!
Get quick tips on how to install a new awning, carport, or sunroof to your mobile home from Foremost Insurance.